Monday, May 4, 2015

More Adventures in Natural Dyeing


Yes, I've been at it again, I just can't stop! The most amazing results and surprises have come about, a few disappointments as well, but that is all part of the learning process.

The biggest "Wow" moment came from dyeing with black turtle beans. Depending on the fabric I used, I got deep blues to bright purple. My neighbors must have though I was a bit crazy when I was exclaiming over the results. Oh let's just face it, the neighbors thought that already.


I also tried dyeing with some Madder root and played with folding and clipping techniques. This is really fun and creates the most interesting designs.


The Blueberries on vintage kimono silk was another surprise, I didn't think that the color would be so saturated and delicious looking!


An experiment in over-dyeing created the loveliest green.


I'm even dyeing embroidery floss and loving the results.

Now, if I could just stop dyeing everything I can get my hands on and actually make something from my experiments! All in good time.

Happy Monday everyone!

5 comments:

This little life said...

This is so neat. I've often wondered about dying with black beans, as the soaking water is always so rich in color. Do you have a link to a process that you use? All of these things are beautiful and it looks incredibly fun and addictive. :)

Scotti said...

Ohhhh! I really wish you'd stop all this dyeing nonsense! I don't have the time to immerse myself up to my elbows in what looks to be the most fun thing I have seen in quite a while. And the best part is that you get to make something from all these fabrics and threads when you are finished! I can't wait to see.......

Frances said...

Natural dying surely can produce exquisite colors! No wonder you want to keep going on and on and on.

It also must be lots of fun to try out some shibori tie dying techniques. The results can be rather etherial.

xo

Annie Cholewa said...

There's no stopping you now is there! Enjoy :)

Unknown said...

Can not wait to see what you make with these treasures!