Sunday, November 30, 2014

Stitched Journal Project - November

The Stitched Journal Project is: Makers from around the world creating one "page" or piece of work per month and sharing. It is a project to get the ideas flowing, to process the days in a creative way, to try new techniques and to push past fears that keep us from making something.  It isn't about perfection, or getting it "just right," it is about process and perspective.


November - fabric collage

I am so late in getting this post up! Apologies. We went out of town for the Holiday and I've just had the chance.

I've been stewing on an idea for a story piece, a fabric collage about my family; a small story of us. This month I worked up a little practice piece; to get a feel for what direction I'd like to go, to use some of my thoughts and see what might evolve.

You'll no doubt see an homage to "Pa's Shirts" that I have been messing with. Old lace, an antique mother of pearl buckle, a well worn bit of hankie and a copy of an old letter envelope.


The envelop is from 1947, sent via Air Mail from The Southern Pacific Railroad... addressed to my grandparents from "Granddady". The letter inside begins:

Dear Children, 
While mother is getting ready to venture out shopping I shall write a few lines so that she may drop it in the mail...

The handwriting is a lovely old-fashioned script that one just doesn't see anymore. Of course, we don't see many actual letters anymore either.


I'm pretty sure the bit of lace edging was made by one of my female family members.  

I think when I finally get to making the story piece that I have in my mind, I will be taking quite a journey into the past.

Below you will find links to the wonderful makers and their Stitched Journal Project pieces for November Please keep your eyes on this spot in the next couple of days as more add their links. Be sure to visit them and leave comments!

If you think you would like to join in as well, it's not too late!  We will be sharing our pieces the last Friday of every month at least until the end of the year. We'd love to have you.

All of you wonderful Stitched Journal Project participants please link up below! Remember to add your photos to The Stitched Journal Flickr Group! and be sure to share with Facebook, Twitter, etc!









3 comments:

june at noon said...

It's lovely. A beautiful way to tell the story of a family.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have conveyed your family in stitch, such an inspiring piece. I have now made a new blog for my stitching pieces, thanks to you giving me the confidence to find my voice. So thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love the mix of fabrics :)