Monday, November 17, 2014

Pa's Shirts


As I finally started tucking into the collection of the Mr.'s old shirts that I've been collecting for ages, I began the imagining the endless possibilities to refashion and upcycle them. I unpicked pockets and ripped out collars trying to adjust to the new development of reading/stitching glasses slipping down my nose. It's been cold out with an icy wind so I sat by the fire and I had to laugh, I suddenly had a vision of Little House on the Prairie. Here's me, "Ma" making clothes for the child out of Pa's old shirts.

It started a while back with this skirt...


Yesterday I finished off this shirt made from a shirt. Should we call it a Tunic instead? I'm unsure. I do know that I was helped by my young assistant who suggested the addition of lace. She was quite right about that I think.


Since I last posted about my 6 (and a half) shirts, I uncovered 2 more shirts hidden in the mayhem of my studio. So, I have many more chances to re-imagine and turn them into something else. I think perhaps a dress will be next.


What have you been up to?

7 comments:

Flaming Nora said...

One of my students made her prom dress from a recycled silk shirt. It was amazing.

crazydazy said...

love the skirt and the tunic, the lace makes a lovely finishing touch!

sustainablemum said...

They look wonderful! I have been sewing up some 'a place for everything baskets' from your lovely book ;)

vicky myers said...

Love your upcycled makes:) nothing like a great shirt...

june at noon said...

Good job, Ma! What fun! (And I think your assistant was right on with the lace.)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous creations as usual! I Love the lace additions, good call from your young assistant!

Unknown said...

Hi Alexandra. I just discovered your blog through the Creative Blog Hop via A Wooden Nest. Your refashioned Pa's Shirts are just darling! I invite you to head over to our blog to read our contribution the Creative Blog Hop: http://adventures-in-making.com/behind-the-scenes-creative-blog-hop/