Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Skirting the Issue


Well, well, well. It seems I am on a skirt making tear. Yesterday I took one of the Engineer's old work shirts, some scrap fabric and whipped this little skirt up. I had a plan and then I threw the plan out the window and made this instead. I'm really pleased with how it came out and I always love giving new life to old clothes. I even have enough shirt left to make a second skirt. This has me thinking... uh oh, that always leads to trouble! As I was saying, I was thinking about just how many things can be made from men's old shirts. I'm sure that you too, have seen your share of clever re-working tutorials using the good old button down shirt.

Why not add my own re-makes to the fray? I'm going to see how many skirts I can make from the couple of old shirts I have in my "formerly loved" pile. You may just see a month of skirts from shirts in March with tutorials. Why not? Sounds like a good time to me! What do you think?

Edited to add: Oops! Did I forget to mention that this skirt is for an 8 year old. So... it's all about kid size skirts. For now....

11 comments:

Ashley cramp said...

Go for it....of course depends on how big the 'Engineer' is as to how many skirts.....D x

Sherri B. said...

Yes, what a marvelous idea...nothing like a fun challenge. Looking forward to the March reveal! xo

Vintage Tea Time said...

Love the skirt - fab. But wouldn't do for my shape - it would make me look the size of a house! You must be very slim? X

Lola Nova said...

Vintage Tea Time, it is for my 8 year old daughter ha! Wouldn't suit me at all!

Flaming Nora said...

I have to make my self an outfit based on the tune "Green Sleeves" I am thinking a skirt and top made only from the sleeves of green shirts. Who knows what I will do with the body of them. Lots and lots of skirts for my niece or any midget friends I can make in the near future I guess.

Tas said...

I love it. Glad that it is for a little girl or I'd have to come and steal it. Look forward to seeing what March will bring.

Frances said...

I totally agree with you about the value of recycling the beautiful fabrics to be found in men's shirts. And the buttons, too, of course.

xo

Jennie said...

I love the layering you've done here! Elasticated skirts are the main 'clothing' I can sew - hate deciphering patterns!x

vicky myers said...

I love refashioning shirts:) skirts, drawstring bags, so many possibilities - been to a jumble sale for 20p shirts all washed and ready to make my daughter a quilt:)

Unknown said...

I love this! I want to find a way to make one of these, but adult-sized for me. :)

Unknown said...

I love this! I want to find a way to make one of these, but adult-sized for me. :)